Friday, August 12, 2011

If this is what it was all for, then I'm OK with it

I was sitting at my desk this morning at work when a dear friend of mine came to me in tears. She feared her sister's cancer was back because she had developed a rash in the same place where she had radiation therapy years ago. This happens to me a lot. When every someone gets cancer or know someone who has or had cancer, they feel compelled to come to me. I'm not sure if they are seeking answers, comfort or both. I'm not complaining; it's actually an honor that they feel comfortable to be so vulnerable with me. That my own experience with cancer makes it easy for them to come to me with question or just a shoulder to cry on. My diagnosis of Hodgkin's Lymphoma was way back on Nov 13, 2001 and after 7 months of chemo, here I am. I remember the last day of my chemo was the same day another person at my work was diagnosed with Lymphoma. Ever since then people will come to me about their own cancer experience.
My friend's sister has been on a rough road. On top of her own cancer experience several years ago, her son was born with a heart defect and has had numerous surgeries. He is right now dealing with some non-cancerous tumors in his head near his brain. He's had nerve damage in his face and may never regain feeling. This family has been thru so much, and my friend has been keeping me posted about her nephew. But today she reached her breaking point. I told her that her sister has been under so much stress, and maybe it was stress related. Or perhaps it was just a long term side affect of the radiation she had. I said, at least we can be thankful that this didn't happen while her nephew was still in the hospital. He was just released last week, and they were all home now. It would have been hard for the family to have both the son and the mom in the hospital at the same time. Not to mention, she would not have been able to be with him in the hospital, or maybe even be able to bring him home herself. I told her to put the thought of the cancer coming back out of her head for now until we know what this is and gave her a hug. And then, after lunch, she got the good news. Not cancer! Her sister developed cellulitis, a potentially serious bacterial skin infection that usually starts in the lower leg, but luckily she acted fast and sought treatment early enough. They are going to keep her in the hospital for a couple of days so they can keep an eye on it and give her antibiotics thru IV. I told my friend, her sister will get the to rest she needed now; she agreed. It's easy to take care of all around you, that you forget to take care of yourself. Things happen for a reason and although I'm not a religious person, I do believe that God doesn't give you more than you can handle, no matter what the outcome is. When I left work my friend was so happy again. Happy that here sister was not going down the cancer road again and was going to be fine. I'm glad she let me be there for her

No comments:

Post a Comment